Director, Launch Michigan
Launch Michigan is an unprecedented partnership of business, education, labor, philanthropy, and civic leaders, as well as parents, all of whom care deeply about education and our state’s collective future. We want a high-quality, student-centered system–one that helps every student succeed in school, in their careers, and in life. We understand implicitly that a strong, thriving public education system is the cornerstone of successful kids, prosperous communities, and a strong economy.
Launch Michigan is looking for an experienced Director who will be responsible for moving forward the coalition’s mission, policy agenda, outcomes, administration and financial objectives. The Director must be able to cultivate, build, and maintain strong and authentic relationships with a wide range of partners and community leaders including education leaders, business executives, nonprofit executives, government and elected leaders, and funders in order to further the organization towards the realization of its mission. This position will work remotely and will include 50% – 70% travel within Michigan.
- Responsible for strategic planning, developing and implementing strategies and day-to-day leadership in order to ensure that Launch Michigan can successfully fulfill its Mission into the future.
- Develop and maintain communication with the member groups who have drafted and supported the principles and action plans of the coalition.
- Maintain current partnerships, while identifying and pursuing new partner opportunities for the organization to fulfill its mission effectively.
- Work closely with committee members on governance and implementation of essential organizational operating policies; work with the Steering Committee to increase member engagement and increase the scope and capacity of the members.
- Serve as the primary media contact to represent the coalition’s programs and promote the organization through written articles, personal appearances and speaking engagements at conferences and through electronic media (as needed).
- Manage Coalition staff, including leading the team in goal setting with an eye toward accountability, measuring success, and tracking progress toward goals.
- Forge and maintain relations of trust with members, partners and external authorities.
- Devise remedial actions for any identified issues and conduct crisis management when necessary.
- Identify opportunities to influence and strengthen relevant policies and plans to further the coalition’s objectives.
- Provide educational briefings and materials to advance the organization’s policy goals.
- Develop a broad network of allies and supporters around key policy efforts.
- Create policy and practice recommendations informed by relevant data, results, and stories from local community school initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned by the steering committee.
- Manage ongoing coordination, develop meeting agendas, schedule and facilitate monthly meetings of the coalition.
- Develop and implement operational policies and processes needed to run a highly effective organization.
- Ensure adherence of the organization’s daily activities and long-term plans to established policies and legal guidelines.
- Responsible for planning and operation of the annual budget in addition to overseeing investments and fundraising efforts.
- Work closely with the co-chairs and steering committee to develop and maintain strong fundraising networks while engaging donors through acknowledgement letters, updates, presentations, reports, meetings, and personal visits.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of the communications plan with member organizations and internal staff or outside consultants as appropriate.
- Act as a public speaker and public relations representative of the organization in ways that strengthen its profile in addition to overseeing all social media, press releases, print and electronic communications (newsletters, invitations, website, fliers, annual reports, etc.).
- Ensure the Coalition’s materials are consistent with its core message by overseeing marketing and other communications efforts.
- Create and identify additional opportunities to convene community partners and decision-makers to advance the vision of the Coalition. Identify new partners, forging and strengthening collaborative efforts with targeted constituency groups at the local and state level.
- Actively facilitate collaboration and partnerships in the community, promoting participation, volunteerism, and philanthropy.
- Design, prioritize, and implement campaign and outreach strategies in cooperation with member groups and the steering committee.
- Maintain strong relationships with the state legislature, administration, and key stakeholders. Build close relationships with senior policy staff in Congress, the Department of Education, and other agencies.
- Attend community events and conferences to represent and promote the organization to local, regional and state constituencies as appropriate.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in directly aligned field of study
- 10 – 15 years of experience in the public or private sector managing high-profile local collaborative initiatives.
- Dedication and deep commitment to public education and the mission of Launch Michigan.
- Demonstrable track record of developing successful evidence-based policy and advocacy positions that drive, influence, and promote policy change. Previous leadership experience in a policymaking, legislative setting or advocacy role is desirable.
- Significant experience in educational venture philanthropy or school network leadership. Must deeply understand schools and the conditions that enable school success. Experience with community schools at the local, state and/or regional levels. Familiarity with public education issues in Michigan.
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Demonstrated success in management of complicated work streams.
- Proven track record of managing people, developing high-performance teams, managing budgets, and achieving goals.
- Ability to make sound decisions, demonstrate initiative and exercise good judgment.
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to create sustainability and financing plans and to generate financial resources from varied sources.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector in addition to the ability to apply successful fundraising and networking techniques.
- Ability to build relationships and partnerships with a wide range of stakeholders, many of which include diverse groups and cultures.
To Apply for this Position
Submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected].